Day 335: what’s your favorite holiday cookie?

2 Dec

I broke my two year streak last night.
I at a cookie.

Not just any cookie.

I ate Pam’s Chocolate Chip cookies.
They. Are. To. Die. For.

Pams_Cookies

Seriously. Two years ago I couldn’t stop eating Pam’s cookies. I would eat an entire plate of these chocolate chip cookies. They have some secret ingredient that Pam refuses to reveal (personally, I think it might be crack.)

This weekend I caved to the crave.

I ate Pam’s cookies!

But, I now have the self control to stop myself from gorging and devouring all the cookies on the plate.

In the past I would have boxed out everyone at the party to keep the platter all to myself and then licked it clean …with my tongue …right off the plate. I would have hid Pam’s cookies in my purse in order to take the sweet treats home and then gulped them down in secret.

What am I saying… I have done all of the above.

Pams_Cookies_2

But, I have now learned my lesson.

After giving up sweet treats and facing my sugar addiction last year during the first year of The Promise 365 I have learned about sugar boundaries.

I have learned many lessons about sugar actually.

The most important is this: the less “sweetness” I have in my life the more “sweets” I crave in my diet.

So I am proud to report that I ate not forty or twenty or twelve, but only three of Pam’s cookies tonight. Trust me, it’s progress. Believe me, they are worth it.

But my favorite, most crave-orite cookie is the crinkle — as in Chocolate Crinkle Cookie.

Why?  Because Mama Sling made these scrumptious delights at Christmastime.

And it is when I miss my mama most that I crave sweets.
Whenever I crave sugar, I really want a hug from Mama Sling.
When I pine for pie, I really want her kisses.
When I reach for chocolate, it is her laughter and that special brand of jolliness that I want to fill my life.

Knowing is half the battle.
I still limit my sugar intake and certainly don’t cave to every crave, but before I let loose and treat myself these days, I evaluate why I want it. Because there’s always a reason.

So here’s my favorite cookie recipe. It’s not Pam’s but it’s pretty darn good.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookie recipe here

May your life be sweet and may you sugar responsibly.

7 Responses to “Day 335: what’s your favorite holiday cookie?”

1. MaryB December 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM #

Thank you for the recipe. Today I made tollhouse chocolate chip cookies and I have not made them in over a year. I love cookies! Have a great week!

• Jamie December 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM #

Thanks Mary — there’s something so magical about baking, I’m not sure what it is but I’m sure your kitchen enjoyed the day of baking too! xoxo~Jamie

2. Diane Neal Emmons December 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM #

After I read this, I decided that after your 80th birthday you (I) can have a different definition of sugar responsibility. Hugs and kisses, even if not from Mama Sling…and love

• Jamie December 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM #

Ah, I love that! And I can’t wait to turn 80 and be just as happy, spirited and fun and you are Diane! Love, love!

3. Anonymous December 3, 2012 at 4:05 AM #

They look delicious!

• Jamie December 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM #

(they are)
      xo~

4. dawn December 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM #

Jamie, You are SO adorable!! 🙂 I, too, was once a “box the other guests out, hide them in my purse and devour them in secret” kinda girl… and you are right…knowing what it is that you REALLY crave helps handle the triggers when they arise.

I hope that you savored every bite of the cookies you indulged in… what a luscious reward to an incredible woman!! xo