GIFT DAY 008: paying it forward and random acts of giving

8 Jan

starbucks, jamie eslinger, thepromise365.com, thepromisedaily.com

My gift yesterday was coffee.

As I walked into our local Starbucks, my mind flashed back to the story of a little boy named Jayden Lamb.

I recently heard about this nine-year old cancer patient from Midland Michigan.

He earned his angel wings on November 27, 2012 right before he told his father that he would never get married, because…

“God needs me more, I was your angel before I was born.”

After his funeral, his parents were so moved by the love and support they received from the community they walked into a Starbucks and bought coffee for the next person in line, with a note that said:

“Paying it Forward, Jayden-Style.”

It spurred a chain reaction that has hit everywhere from Michigan to California, and it was so inspiring Jayden was listed as one of Yahoo’s 12 Most Inspirational Stories of 2012.

So yesterday, I payed it forward Jayden-Style.

Except I didn’t have anything to write on or leave a note. I just asked the barista to add a cup of coffee to my ticket and give it to the next person in line.

The barista grinned at me and said, “Sure! We do this all the time.”

“Really?” I asked back.

“Yes, it happens all the time in the Drive-Thru. Sometimes the line of paying it forward continues for hours at a time.”

And that made me smile.

Really, isn’t it that easy?

More tomorrow.
Lovemore,
P.S. My gift of the day today is to pay it forward to you!  The first person to write “Paying it forward – Jayden Style” on the comment section of today’s blog post gets a free cup of coffee at Starbucks from me.  And we ALL get to remember the inspiring life of Jayden.
P.P.S. Did you sign into The Promise Daily yet? More goodies there.

9 Responses to “GIFT DAY 008: paying it forward and random acts of giving”

1. Shari Froelich January 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM #

This is such a wonderful story…full of feel good moments.

• Jamie January 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM #

It makes me cry every time I see it — have you seen this video about Jayden that his parents made:

Thanks for being here Shari!

2. Sara Schaeffner January 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM #

Paying it forward! (And I will!)

• Jamie January 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM #

You got it Sara! Be on the lookout 😉

3. Paige Henderson January 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM #

I so enjoy reading your stuff, Jamie. Always a bright spot in my day!

• Jamie January 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM #

Thank you Paige! 😉

4. Diane Neal Emmons January 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM #

I bet you’d be surprised at how many pay you forward – with good reason –
    Love, Diane

5. Barb August 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM #

I just came across this and want to thank you for thinking of Jayden. He is my grandson and I miss him more each day. All of the kindness that everyone is showing each other in his honor would certainly make him smile. He was a kind loving child who would do anything for anyone even during Chemo. When we would cry he would ask why we were crying “it’s only Cancer”. Please pray for a cure so no other family has to go through what we are going through.

• Jamie August 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM #

I am so honored to have shared a little bit of Jayden’s love. He certainly was an angel from everything I have heard. I can only imagine how difficult this loss was for you and your family and everyone who knew and cared for and about Jayden. Prayers and love. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. xoox~Jamie