GIFT DAY 026: another birthday… keep calm and carry on

26 Jan

I stayed in my pajamas until 2pm today watching Dowton Abbey reruns.

Keep Calm and Carry On

It was a glorious way to start my birthday.

I usually take the dogs for their early morning walk. But this morning, Justin took over that duty. He also brought me breakfast in bed and some gifts to open.

Specifically, he gave me the gift that I accidentally discovered a few weeks ago (that his mother hid in our spare bedroom). But I promised not to open it early and I kept my promise.

When I opened one of the gifts this morning, I laughed out loud. It was like seeing an old friend staring back at me saying, “Keep Calm and Carry On.”

You see, over a year ago, I dropped my beloved coffee cup on the hard tile floor of our winter rental. It broke into pieces.

It broke my heart.

Because it wasn’t just any old coffee cup. It was my Keep Calm and Carry On mug.

Now, I literally have the bandages to piece it back together.

keep calm and carry on survival kit
Of course the coffee mug is long gone. But, I love the idea of bandages, a survival kit, with a little message to take a deep breath and stay calm.

I hope to only use them in times of insignificant need — no mortal wounds or anything.

keep calm and carry on bandages, jamie eslinger, the promise 365
Like, maybe when I have a bad day I will just strap one to my forehead.

Or, when important plans go awry, I will stick one over my heart.

I could divvy them up and place a few in my car, near my desk, in the kitchen …just as little reminders that things are never as bad as we think.

And …next to the mirror in the bathroom.

So when I see a few of those birthday wrinkles I can just place a Keep Calm and Carry On message right over it.

Because it’s usually just minor — the stuff that we think is broken. And most of the time, it’s nothing that a bandage can’t fix.

Lovemore,

{Happy birthday today to Andrea Eggbert! We always shared a birthday in grade school and I wish her the best on her special day.}

6 Responses to “GIFT DAY 026: another birthday… keep calm and carry on”

1. Dawn January 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM #

Happy birthday, Sis! I hope it was a good one and you have many, many more! The boys send their love and b-day wishes, too. We love you!

2. Dawn January 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM #

PS-I totally LOVE the sticking plasters! So British, 😉

3. MaryB January 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM #

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Wishing you a continued YEAR of ABUNDANCE!!! LOL, Mary

4. Diane Neal Emmons January 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM #

Happy Birthday, dear Jamie! I didn’t know it is today, also the birthdays of my sister Mary and my daughter Elizabeth. WHAT an auspicious day! If you carry on as you have always been, the world is a lucky place. Because you were born.
    Love every day,DN

5. Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 5:59 AM #

Jamie: Sorry, I spent your birthday – all day on my computer trying to solve e-mail problems and installing Windows 8. I would have much rather been helping you celebrate your birthday, as I failed at both. It was not a good day. Additionally, we had rain all day – one of the 2 or 3 rain days we have each year. It was foggy, wet, chilly, dreary but wonderful as we need the rain badly and this rain nearly all soaked in, very little run off.

But back to your birthday, Fran and I hope that you had a good one and we wish you many more. Tell Justin hello and that we toooooooo are soooooorry about the PATS!!

All the best, Jim and Frran

• Jamie January 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM #

No problem! Sorry it was a rough day over there. Hope it’s over now — we on the other hand have TONS of snow! On the beach no less. xoxo~Jamie