GIFT DAY 082 30-day gratitude challenge: day 6, being the girl who cries

23 Mar

Day 6 of the Gratitude Challenge over here.

Let me first start this blog by asking what are your grateful for today?

It’s an important question. And your answers are just as important.

Today, I am grateful for:

1) My favorite pair of jeans.
2) Heated leather seats in my car.
3) Tears. Buckets and buckets of tears.

And being the girl that cries.

I was once the girl who scored the game winning points on the basketball court. Then I was the girl who ran for Student Government President, and won. I was a Truman Scholar Finalist, I was a Smith College grad. I was the young upstart starting her own biz.

That’s when I was the girl who thought crying was for sissies.

But today, I found myself being the girl who cried her eyes out . . . during an acupuncture appointment. And when I say cried my eyes out, I mean balled. Like a baby.

Flood works.

It’s funny, this enlightening life journey thing. This writing everyday. Pushing myself. Finding the lesson instead of the fear, leaning in toward the love. Exploring a-bun-dance.

Some days it brings me to the top of a mountain called JOY. Other days it leaves me with an abundance of tears, a sticky face, and a purse full of wadded up KLEENEX.

And, for that, I am grateful.

Because I am still the girl scoring the game winning points, running for office, studying for exams, never wanting to lose . . . who thinks crying is for sissies.

And, somehow, I’m also the girl who cries like baby — and is grateful for the tears that roll down her cheek.

I am grateful for the divide inside my soul, somehow being super human strong and so, so, so, very vulnerable and delicately breakable at the same time.

Because it means I am alive.
That’s why, today, I am grateful for tears.

tears croppes

The power-washing strength of tears. As if they were invented precisely for the girl who thinks crying is for sissies.

Because sometimes this girl (ALL OF US) just need a good cry.
And for that, I am grateful somebody invented tears.

Lovemore (fearless),
{Gratitude. Love. You? Share your three items in the comments section below}

17 Responses to “GIFT DAY 082 30-day gratitude challenge: day 6, being the girl who cries”

1. Janet Shea March 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM #

Today I am thankful for:
    1. Martha Stewart being a guest on Car Talk with Click & Clack. It was SO funny!
    2. Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin – perfect song to scrub toilets to.
    3. Youth choir at my church – they are amazing, and I am lucky to get to sing with them since they need an extra alto.

• Jamie March 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM #

Love! (I can’t get the “Mac Tonight” old McDonald’s commercial out of my head)

2. Linda R Neff March 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM #

1. A sunny spring (masquerading as winter) drive along Lake Michigan with my daughter
    2. A coworker believing in the power of flourishing as you do your work
    3. The relentless positive ambition of a woman business owner who hugged and kissed my daughter today when meeting her for the first time

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 7:38 AM #

Linda, I love this, especially the part about your daughter. All three are beautiful gifts! Sending you tons of love. xo~Jamie

3. Cara March 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM #

*What seemed to be a possible diversion, became a divine appointment and opportunity to share from my education.
    *Text messages with wonderful women that share my heart and humor.
    *Deep focus and progress on my work, despite the aforementioned : )

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM #

Lights, camera, action! Sometimes those diversions are really divine. Sneaky gifts, right? Love that you’re here Cara! Here’s to progress in your work — it’s simply divine if you ask me!! xo~Jamie

4. MaryB March 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM #

I am thankful for my doggie Annie who is in her final days with us. I have shed many tears these last few days knowing she won’t be with my husband and I much longer. We have had 12 years of pure joy. We love Annie!! THANKFUL!!!

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM #

Annie!!! Sending you lots of doggie hugs, scratches behind the ear and gentle snuggles. These last days are so precious and so hard and so necessary in the friendships we have with our canine counterparts. I can only imagine how full your heart is and how soft the tears are too. Sending you humans hugs. Lots of hugs. xoxo~Jamie

• MaryB March 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM #

Thank you Jamie! XOXO Mary

5. Diane Neal Emmons March 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM #

Kindness. And understanding. And lifelong, however long our lives have touched, friends.
    Lovemore,
    DN

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM #

I feel like I have known you for a lifetime Diane, and am so grateful you are in my life, and here, and so close to my heart all at once. xoxo~Jamie

6. Margo Frazier March 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM #

My heart is full of gratitude today for
    The 8 hours I got to sharè my knowledge with 29 Women and 1 man and before we left they were telling me I was a Woman on Fire and not one person in the room knew I belonged to WOF.
    For the evening with our friend Joyce that lost her husband of 32 years 2weeks ago to cancer.
    And the magical life I have.

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM #

Your light is burning bright my dear Margo! Go get ’em, and show them who is NOT JUST the Lunch Lady any longer. Love you lots. xoxo~Jamie

7. kimdettmer March 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM #

Today I am grateful for…
    1. Sleeping in…like the pre-mom me.
    2. Time to work on my book…it’s been toooooo long!
    3. And friends who check in on me when I am in the middle of some funkity-funk!

Thanks for sharing, Jamie about the tears! I have always been a crier…who believed it was weak to cry. I remember finally really believing that my tears were my strength. It was sooooo freeing!

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM #

Love this Kim. And totally agree that there is strength in tears! Love you. ~From the girls who cries 😉

8. Kelly D. March 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM #

A delicious home cooked meal. Packing for vacation. My affectionate cat, Squeekie!

• Jamie March 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM #