GIFT DAY 099 30-day gratitude challenge: day 23: greening up my diet

9 Apr

Day 23 over here of the 30-Day Gratitude Challenge.

What are you grateful for today?As for me, I’m going into my first week of an official Alkaline Diet.

And so far, I am grateful for the results I can see with my own two eyes:

1) My skin has cleared up, acne dried up!

2) My energy has increased, little by little, each day.

3) My pH is more alkaline (according to those little sticks I pee on — seriously)

What all this means is I now drink lemon water out of my Starbucks cup!I love my cool cup that Justin gave me. And, while it may scream COFFEE on the outside, on the inside it’s all LEMON WATER.(which is free I might add!)

Some have asked, and here’s the official response:

Q:  How is a lemon alkaline? I thought lemon was acidic.

A:  Lemons are acid based, coming in at around 2.0 on the pH scale. But, once a lemon is ingested it creates an ALKALINE ASH inside the digestive tract of the stomach.

So what counts isn’t on the outside — it’s on the inside.

Alkaline is considered anything above 7 pH.

Turns out adding a lemon to your water is one of the best ways to alkalinize your body.

I am reading up on this new way of eating, which really, isn’t all that different from my previous pledge to be sugar/coffee/gluten free. In general, it means eating very little to no meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, processed foods, white sugar, white flour, and caffeine.

Here are my latest reads if you want to follow along:

I love the recipes in these books, and as I RE-enter the kitchen (AGAIN) I am left wondering:

WHY DO REALLY AWESOME RECIPE BOOKS ALWAYS REQUIRE INGREDIENTS I DON’T HAVE IN MY CUPBOARDS?

I swear it’s an organized coup, or a concerted effort of some mastermind group somewhere.

“We need to sell more white pepper!” I hear them calling.

Regardless, I’m not surprised to learn, after all these years, that it’s still what is on the inside that counts.

Now, where can I find some sumac, spelt flour and spirulina?

Lovemore (fearless),

{Good gracious! What are you grateful for? Spill the beans in the comments section below.}

14 Responses to “GIFT DAY 099 30-day gratitude challenge: day 23: greening up my diet”

1. Diane Neal Emmons April 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM #

You are always wonderful, whatever you eat. I so admire you while loving the abundance of chocolate, sugar, mocha and whipped cream on top. In fact almost every day I go to Gloucester to Dunkin’, have a happy word with all my friends there, and walk out with a large cold mocha latte (topped with whipped cream and extra chocolate) – and every day someone coming in says “Gosh! That looks so good – I think I’ll have one”.
    Then I go feed my gull friends on old bread and seeds. They usually practice pecking at each other to get the bread and leave the seeds that are good for them.
    Maybe – I hope all the good inside you makes up for your friend’s – at least this one’s – decadence.
    Anyway, lovemore and more.
    DN

• Jamie April 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM #

You are the best kind of decadence and I love you so much Diane!

2. Linda R Neff April 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM #

1. Reconnecting with a friend and work colleague
    2. The strength of the above of friend
    3. Mad powerpoint skills that “prettied up” a dull presentation

• Jamie April 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM #

You rock, mad power point skills to the rescue!

3. Janet Shea April 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM #

1. Pansies – they mean spring to me
    2. Songbirds are back!
    3. My Victoria’s Secret ~ Secret Rewards card was for $100!! Maggie and I are doing an on-line shopping spree tonight 🙂

• Jamie April 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM #

What!! That is such a big secret reward, awesome. Hope you and Maggie found some good stuff!!

4. Shannon April 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM #

1. Odwalla … My husband just handed me a “carrot apple mango” juice with a kiss on the cheek. (a treat that he brought home from his grocery run.)
    2. My nice husband
    3. Apple cider vinegar…. (just a little bit mixed in your water)
    It is a good addition to an alkaline diet 🙂

• Jamie April 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM #

Sweet hubby that you have! Someone just told me about that too~have never tried it, thanks for the suggestion! Love you Shan!

5. Cara April 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM #

Sumac via Kalustyans.com : ) Spelt at Bob’s Red Mill : ) Spirulina, I can send you because I’m allergic and didn’t learn that til I opened and used a tablespoon of it; one big bottle missing one small tablespoon : /
    *a doctor that listens, considers my needs and history, weighs the decisions with me
    *a pharmacy that compounds prescriptions for me, sans my many allergies
    *my husband that saw me through those details of the day…my partner for life : )

• Jamie April 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM #

Never heard of kalustyans — thank you Cara!! I will check it out. Here’s to our partners 😉

6. Kelly D. April 10, 2013 at 3:51 AM #

Brave women to lead the way. (You’re one of those Jamie!) The sound of my mom’s voice on the phone! Unconditional love from my pets.

• Jamie April 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM #

I think that is why pets were put here on earth — to show us unconditional love. And thank you Kelly, for always being here!! Your words are so sweet and couldn’t have come at a better time. xoxo~Jamie

7. shel April 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM #

I am grateful for you, Jamie – Brave, as in scared and doing it anyway, plus continuing to share the grace of your dance with Life.

• Jamie April 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM #

Thank you Shel, and here’s to you too! For being here. And dancing with me!! xoxo~Jamie